We had a chat with upcoming hip hop artist Willie Jae!
- What s the “spark” that made you want to become an artist in the first place?
I like being able to creatively tell a story, and the whole science and art behind a complete song.
- If you were to pick only one of your songs as a “first listen” for a new fan, which one would it be and why?
Suicide would be the first song. It would be the first one because it got me 1 million song plays and downloads and explains my die hard following with the Indie Circle.
- What are the easiest and hardest aspects of making hip-hop?
The easiest is that Hip-Hop is no holds barred so quantity of material is never a problem. The hardest is that true artist are not worried about quantity, only quality; and in Hip Hop there is a higher standard for creativity.
- Do you enjoy live performances or studio time more?
Live Performances are a rare occurrence for me, I m like a ghost and only do one a year. The studio is where I spend most of my time, I could release one album a month for the next three years and still have songs left over.
- What do you think are the pros and cons of producing your own tracks?
There are only Pros when producing your own music, I own everything from the start and don t use samples so I never have to worry about clearance.
- How much do you think image influences the music scene these days?
Image is everything, and in the music scene today image is what makes you or breaks you, there are fans today who don t support talent but support an image that they want portrayed.
- Can fan expect new releases in the near future?
Yes, I have a mixtape and Album due out this year
Find out more: